In my effort to purchase minimal groceries this month (and try to use up what we already have), tonight’s dinner was an experiment. However, it turned out to be a very tasty experiment.
1 lb of ground turkey
3 Cups minute rice (We use Minute Brown Rice)
1 1/2 Cup Chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Yellow Bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Cup sour cream
1 pkg Cream Cheese
1 Can diced tomatoes in juice
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 8oz can of tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes and then add the ground meat and Italian seasoning. Keep cooking until meat is browned.
- Add sugar, salt, , garlic powder, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste and keep cooking for a few more minutes (you want the flavors to blend together).
- Then add the cream cheese and sour cream and cook until melted into the sauce.
- Put the dry rice into a 9×13 casserole dish and pour the chicken broth over the top.
- Pour meat/sauce mixture on top of rice. The sauce does not have to completely cover the rice.
- Top with the shredded cheese of your choice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- If there is too much liquid in the casserole then remove the foil and cook another 10 to 15 minutes.